The demographic information below was updated as of 2022.
- Altoona Population: 19,565 as of the 2020 Census - 20,705 as of July 2021 (a 5.8% increase from 2020)
- DSM Metro Population: 699,292
- High School Grad or Higher: 95.3%
- Median Age: 36.77
- Median Household Income: $79,482 (vs the National Average of $64,994)
- Average Home Value: $199,600
For information on the City’s tax rates, visit our Tax Information webpage.
For monthly building permit totals, visit the Altoona Building Department Online Portal and click on the “Reports” tab on the upper right.
The annual Community Development Reports include information on the City’s residential and commercial growth.